During the last montsh I've had a few interesting conversations with the Japanese exchange students as well as with Garret about German eating etiquette.
Especially the belching/chewing with your mouth open-part resulted in a few interesting discussions with the Asians. I guess our American found the always use fork and knife and don't have your elbow on the table rather annoying ;-)
So this is what I found on a website about German business etiquette:
- Before eating, wish everyone at the table "Guten Appetit." ("Enjoy your meal.")
- Only take as much food as you plan on eating. The Germans usually "clean their plates".
- When you or others are eating, keep your hands on the table, not under it.
- Sit up straight, close to the table.
- Don't prop your head up with your hands.
- Don't bend your head over your food when you are eating or "shovel" your food in your mouth.
- Don't begin eating until everyone at the table has been served.
- Don't begin drinking until everyone has something to drink and a toast has been made.
- Look others in the eye when toasting.
- Do not get up to leave when you have finished eating, but wait for the others; if you came to dinner with others, then leave with them also.
- Do not belch or chew with your mouth open.
- When you are finished eating, places your knife and fork together and rest them on your plate.
We even have an entire book dedicated to manners and etiquette written by this guy
2. Superstition
You don't think that our eating etiquette is strange? But our tendency for superstition is really hard to understand for foreigners. Early birthday wishes are considered to bring bad luck to the birthday boy/girl. I guess it is like you are asking for a misfortune to happen before the actual birthday arrives. Strange, I know. We would also never have baby showers before the baby is born. What, if something happens before the baby is born?
I told you we were strange :-)
Hope you still like me!
Thanks for giving me a little lesson in German etiquette!
AntwortenLöschenJust stopping by to wish you a Happy Saturday